Search

28 May 2022

South East teenager died from ingesting ecstasy and morphine, inquest told

Tipperary teenager who became unwell at music festival died from ingesting ecstasy and morphine, inquest is told

The late Jack Downey

A Clonmel student who became ill at a Cork music festival, and died three days later, died from ingestion of ecstasy and morphine, an inquest into his death has been told.

The inquest into the death of nineteen year old Jack Downey opened in Cork today.

It was told that the Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) student died from total organ failure despite the efforts of doctors to stabilise his condition.

Jack became ill at the Indiependence music festival in Cork last year.

Assistant State Pathologist Dr Bolster told the court that the cause of death was total organ failure due to hyperthermia after the ingestion of ecstasy, metamphetamine and morphine.

The inquest was adjourned by Coroner Philip Comyn after medical evidence was heard, as the Garda investigation into the teenager's death remains ongoing.

He adjourned the hearing until August.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.