Gardaí catch Waterford driver speeding on 'European Day Without a Road Death'
An Offaly driver was one of numerous detected speeding during a Garda operation surrounding European Day Without a Road Death on Wednesday.
Gardaí clocked one driver doing 72km/h in a 50km/h zone on the R680 at Adamstown, Kilmeaden, Waterford on Wednesday as part of Project Edward.
Gardaí said, "Thankfully there were no reports of any road deaths in the Republic of Ireland, and An Garda Síochána would like to thank all road users who assisted the success of Project Edward in Ireland."
While there were no fatalities there is no room for complacency and An Garda Síochána urges all road users to continue their focus on road safety.
Assistant Commissioner Dave Sheahan speaking at Garda Headquarters today said:
"Last year, 2017, gave us the lowest number of road deaths in Ireland but we can never be complacent about road safety. Project EDWARD is an important initiative keeping road safety in the minds of all road users."
"We all need to use full concentration when behind the wheel. Never drink or take drugs and drive, put the mobile away, and wear your seatbelt on every journey. We want people to be safe on the road everyday not just on Project EDWARD day.”
During the 24 hours of Project Edward, GoSafe checked the speed of 129,250 vehicles. A total of 256 vehicles were detected travelling in excess of the applicable speed limit.
Notable speeds include:
• 80km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R448 Kilcullenbridge Kilcullen Kildare
• 108km/h in a 60km/h Zone on the R132 Glebe South Balbriggan Dublin Dublin
• 112km/h in a 80km/h Zone on the R772 Ashwood Upper Gorey Wexford
• 133km/h in a 100km/h Zone on the N22 Farran Ovens Cork
• 138km/h in a 120km/h Zone on the M1 Donabate Dublin
Other speeds include:
· 108km/h in a 60km/h Zone on the R132 Glebe South Balbriggan Dublin Dublin
· 80km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R448 Kilcullenbridge Kilcullen Kildare
· 79km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the N52 Ardcroney Tipperary
· 77km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R445 Ballymany Newbridge Kildare
· 74km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the Fairview Dublin 3 Dublin
· 72km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R680 Adamstown Kilmeaden Waterford
· 71km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R712 Pennefatherslot Kilkenny Kilkenny
· 69km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the Clontarf Road Dublin3 Dublin
· 69km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R510 Dock Road Limerick Limerick
· 68km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R702 Enniscorthy Enniscorthy Wexford
· 133km/h in a 100km/h Zone on the N22 Farran Ovens Cork
· 79km/h in a 60km/h Zone on the L1331 Lowpark Charlestown Mayo
· 79km/h in a 60km/h Zone on the R334 Ballyshingadaun Ballinrobe Mayo
· 105km/h in a 80km/h Zone on the R121 Ward Lower Finglas Dublin11 Dublin
· 65km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the R527 Ballysimon Road Limerick Limerick
· 65km/h in a 50km/h Zone on the N80 Main Street Stradbally Laois