Waterford University Hospital
University Hospital Waterford is one of the hospitals that will provide abortion service under new laws enacted following the 8th Amendment referendum last year.
From January 1st abortion services became available to women here in Ireland. Currently, 179 GPs across the country are signed up, but it is also understood there are two counties in Ireland where no GP abortion service is available.
In terms of hospitals providing the services, Waterford has been listed as one of just nine across the country, with Limerick and Cork University Hospitals the only others in Munster to provide them.
The Health Service Executive says details are provided through the new My Options helpline on 1800 828 010 and the myoptions.ie website.
The new website provides information for people experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Myoptions.ie also gives detailed information on abortion services and how they work
Abortion care will be free of charge to people who need it.
The HSE says there have been quite a lot of calls to the helpline already.
The HSE has listed the maternity units providing abortion care in Ireland:
- National Maternity Hospital, Holles Street, Dublin
- Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar
- Rotunda Hospital, Dublin
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Drogheda
- University Hospital Galway
- Mayo University Hospital, Castlebar
- University Maternity Hospital Limerick
- Cork University Maternity Hospital
- University Hospital Waterford
What abortion services will be provided?
The law allows abortion in the following cases:
- Up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. People under 9 weeks of pregnancy will mainly be cared for by a GP, and people between 9 and 12 weeks will be cared for in hospital.
- Where there is a risk to the life, or of serious harm to the health, of the pregnant person. People in these cases will be cared for in a hospital setting.
- Where there is a condition likely to lead to the death of the foetus before or shortly after birth. People in these cases will be cared for in a hospital setting.