5 Waterford blaa recipes that will knock your socks off!
The Déise Diablo
Pan-fried chicken and chorizo, served with melted mozzarella, fresh rocket leaves, basil and garlic aoili
- Butterfly one large chicken breast and tenderise each slice with a kitchen mallet
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle in rapeseed oil
- Pan fry the chicken until crisp and golden and cooked through
- Add sliced/chopped chorizo to the pan midway through cooking
- To make aioli, mash two garlic cloves (pulverised) and ¼ tsp. salt in a small bowl until a paste forms. Whisk in half a cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of oil, one table spoon of lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken on soft Waterford blaa, add the chorizo, before dressing with garlic aioli and topping with mozzarella.
- Place under the grill for four minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from grill and add rocket leaves and freshly chopped basil. Serve.
The Breakfast Blaa
Crispy maple cured bacon with poached egg, Ballymaloe tomato relish and avocado
- Fry three pieces of maple cured bacon on a hot pan for 4-5 minutes (until crispy)
- Add your egg from a bowl into unsalted simmering water in a deep saucepan (swirling). Cook for four minutes and remove with slotted spoon. Drain egg on kitchen paper.
- Spread a generous helping of Ballymaloe tomato relish to the base of the blaa
- Add chopped avocado and finish with your crispy bacon and poached egg. Serve.
The Veggie Blaa
Roast red pepper with mushrooms, crispy string onions, goat's cheese, fresh green pesto and baby gem
- Roast chopped pieces of red pepper (skin side up) on a baking tray in the oven for 20 minutes
- Pan fry sliced mushroom in a teaspoon of garlic butter and rapeseed oil until crispy
- Heat a pan of oil on the hob to shallow fry onions
- Slice an onion as thinly as possible and place in a bowl with half a cup of milk
- Season a separate bowl of plain flour with salt, pepper and sweet paprika
- Coat the onions in the milk, dip into flour and place in the pan of oil once fully coated. Cook until golden and crispy, then drain onto kitchen paper.
- Toast your blaa until lightly crisp
- Cover the base with fresh green pesto and goat's cheese chunks
- Place your sliced roast peppers and mushrooms on top and finish with a baby gem lettuce leaf and a sprinkling of the crispy onion strings. Serve.
The Reuben Blaa
A take on the New York deli classic. Thinly sliced corned beef with Swiss cheese, pickles and Russian dressing
- To make the dressing, combine a quarter of one onion (finely chopped), one cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of ketchup, three teaspoons of horseradish, one teaspoon of hot sauce and one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, salt and paprika
- Place thinly sliced pieces of corned beef generously on your blaa base
- Top with sliced pickles instead of sauerkraut to add a crunch
- Add a generous helping of your Russian dressing and top with Swiss cheese.
- Place under the grill (open) for 3-4 minutes until cheese has melted. Serve.
The Ultimate Irish
Escalope of Irish pork fillet with black pudding fritters, served with wilted spinach leaves, mozzarella and a honey and mustard dressing
- Slice up a pork fillet and tenderise slices using a kitchen mallet
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with rapeseed oil
- Pan fry the thin slices of pork for 5-6 minutes, turning once. Baste with butter and rosemary for final two minutes.
- Wilt spinach in pan with juices and remaining butter and rosemary.
- To make the fritters, slice premium Irish black pudding into 6-10mm slices. Toss black pudding in whisked egg, then dip into breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper. Shallow/deep fry fritters until golden. Remove and drain onto kitchen paper.
- Place sliced pork, spinach and fritters layered on the base of your blaa. Drizzle with good quality/homemade honey and mustard dressing and finish with sliced mozzarella.
- Grill until cheese melts. Serve.
If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Waterford Live team via email to email@example.com, or through our Facebook.