01 Oct 2022

Survey reveals reasons Waterford people work several jobs

iReach Insights survey reveals 11% of Waterford people have a side job.

11% of Waterford people have a side job, a new iReach Insights survey has revealed.

32% of Waterford people surveyed have a side job to save money, while the remaining 68% use the extra cash to support an expensive hobby. 100% of Waterford people save their money for holidays.

3% of the 32 Waterford people surveyed work 10-20 hours per week, 29% work 20-30 hours per week, 59% work 30-40 hours per week and 8% work more than 70 hours per week.

68% of Waterford people have worked two jobs for less than a year, while the remaining 32% for 1-2 years. 32% earn less than €250 extra a month, while 68% earn over €1,000 extra.

The nationally representative survey spoke with 1,000 Irish people in total, with 13% of people in Ireland admitting to having a side job. Nationwide, 86% have two jobs and 14% have more than two jobs. 74% of Irish people with more than one job would consider one of these jobs as their main job. 11% more females than males would consider all their jobs equal.

The Top 5 reasons for adults in Ireland to have more than one job are:

1. To pay bills (67%)

2. Save money (37%)

3. Saving for holidays (20%)

4. Paying for a car (19%)

5. Support my children (14%)

12% of females take a side job to support family members and 12% take a side job to support an expensive hobby. No males take side jobs to do either, but more than twice as many males as females take side jobs to buy medicine (17% compared to 8%).

The Top 5 reasons to save money are:

1. Holidays (58%)

2. Car (48%)

3. House/Apartment (22%)

4. Future Children 21%)

5. Precaution

49% of those aged 35-54 and 25% of 55+ year olds in Ireland are saving money out of precaution, while 0% of 16-34 year olds are saving money just to be prepared. 73% earn over €500 at their side job, 8% earn between €500 and €750, 10% between €750 and €1,000, and 9% earn over €1,000.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.